Exciting news – the Newtown electorate office is now open!
On Monday we opened the doors at 383 King Street Newtown to the public for the very first time.
Our regular office hours will be Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. We’ll be having an official office warming in August, so stay tuned for an invite. We are also recruiting for an ongoing Newtown Team.
Less good news this week has been the first Budget of the new parliament. Unsurprisingly, the Liberal/National government delivered a budget which is big on opportunities for private contractors and developers and lacking in care for people and the needs of the community.
Disappointingly, the government increased the WestConnex budget by another $500 million, failed to take action on affordable housing and continued ignoring of accessibility issues in the inner-city and inner-west.
Please keep reading below for more on our response to the budget, and other issues we have been raising in parliament. We are also working hard on local issues including the sell-off of the Australian Technology Park, safety at school crossings, overdevelopment, and providing support to many of the public housing residents in our community.
If you wish to raise a matter with us, please call 9517 2800 or email [email protected].
Jenny Leong MP Member for Newtown
Jenny with Federal Member for Melbourne Adam Bandt and Member for Balmain Jamie Parker outside the new electorate office.
- Statewide media coverage on housing affordability on the minimum wage and rent-capping proposals in Berlin.
- Local media coverage opposing the sell-off of the Australian Technology Park site.
- Community Recognition Statements supporting the work of Redfern Legal Centre and acknowledging the work of inner-west Coal Seam Gas protesters.
- Speech in parliament on World Environment Day.
- Speeches on legislation, supporting the supporting the rights of tenants in the Fair Trading (Amendment and Repeal) Bill, and the rights of victims regarding the Crimes Legislation Amendment (Child Sex Offences) Bill.
- Jenny’s Questions on Notice to the government on a variety of local issues.
- Media releases on the lack of affordable housing measures in the budget, the release of M4 East Tunnel contracts putting the community at risk and an overview of the negative impacts of the budget on the electorate.
- Speeches in NSW Parliament on racism in politics and the urban renewal of Parramatta Road.
- Community Recognition statement on the Marrickville Refugee Welcome Dinner.
- Private Members Statement on the importance of train station accessibility.
- Politics in the pub speech about the community campaign against WestConnex.
- Jenny supporting Alex Greenwich’s motion in parliament regarding marriage equality.
- Fill out our community survey and help shape the work we do.
- Support local residents by signing this petition regarding the Alice St Development.
- Download our WestConnex petition calling for a full parliamentary inquiry into the project and a halt to tender and construction processes.
- Connect with us online via Facebook and Twitter.
- Forward this email to people you know in the local community.