Jenny Leong MP is recruiting for an Electorate Officer to join her and the Newtown team to contribute to their work representing and serving the community.
We are looking for a very organised person who is great working with people, has good political judgement and relevant skills to join our Newtown Electorate Office.
Our small team is passionate, dedicated, experienced and high intensity. We are committed to serving the good people of the Newtown electorate as well as campaigning for significant social and environmental change.
Sometimes we are helping people one-on-one to resolve a specific issue with public housing maintenance, at other times we are organising and participating in rallies with tens of thousands of people. We work across local issues, statewide portfolios and global issues - we are committed to collective action and community empowerment.
The Electorate Officer role is vital in supporting all of our work from an administrative and organising perspective - handling incoming phone calls, correspondence and email communications, coordinating diaries and events, assisting with database and digital communications, as well as keeping connected with community through local meetings, activities and social media.
While this role is one that requires specific skills and experience - as well as a passion for social, economic and environmental justice - you don’t need to be someone who has already worked in politics or has a political pedigree to apply. We are actively encouraging people of culturally diverse backgrounds and women who are interested in this position to put an application in, even if you don’t think you meet every single bit of the selection criteria. We are committed to addressing the lack of diversity in politics.
- Commitment to the principles of the Greens
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience handling phone and email inquiries, and digital competency using standard programs
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise sound judgement and ability to handle working in a high pressure environment
- Demonstrated superior organisational skills to work effectively under pressure and manage competing priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of the local area
- Design/layout skills, social media, website, database skills
- Experience in casework, community service, or similar
- Activist, community organising or event coordination
Full details - including salary and how to apply - are available on iWork.
Applications close on Monday 4 October 2021.