Some good news for our community from the Inner West Council regarding WestConnex.
The Inner West Council Administrator has included a major item on WestConnex on the agenda for the 2nd meeting which will be held on Tuesday July 5 at 7pm at the Ashfield Service Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield.
The Administrator’s Minute (see full text below), states that the Inner West Council will formally adopt a position of continued opposition in the ‘strongest terms’ to the WestConnex project, which is in line with the position of the previous three councils, Marrickville, Ashfield and Leichhardt which have been amalgamated.
If you would like to speak on this item you are encouraged to preregister, which will also mean you get a seat in the meeting. You can pre-register up until 2pm of the day of the Meeting, via the Pre-Registration Form. All those who have pre-registered will speak before those that haven’t pre-registered.
You can see the full agenda of the Extraordinary Meeting here.
The WestConnex Administrator’s Minute is copied below:
Item No: C0716 Item 3 July 5, 2016
Subject: ADMINISTRATOR'S MINUTE: RATIFYING COUNCIL’S POSITION ON WESTCONNEX
File Ref: 16/4718/74243.16
From Richard Pearson, Administrator
1. Inner West Council formally adopts a position of continued opposition in the strongest terms to the WestConnex project, both approved and future stages, consistent with the positions of the former councils of Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville;
2. Council establishes a central WestConnex Response Unit to coordinate Council responses to resident concerns regarding impacts associated with the construction of approved stages of WestConnex, as well as submissions and representations on future stages;
3. Council continues to press the immediate need for the Department of Planning and Environment to fund and establish a dedicated WestConnex compliance officer in the local area to respond promptly to resident issues;
4. Council establish a regular bi-monthly forum chaired by the Administrator with representatives of all the inner west WestConnex resident action groups to discuss concerns with the project and opportunities for their resolution;
5. a report from staff be brought forward to the next meeting of Council outlining a community engagement plan to elicit views of the broader community with regards to ways the Council can assist them with concerns regarding WestConnex;
6. a report from staff be brought forward to the next meeting of Council which summarises the outstanding resolutions of the previous Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville Councils regarding WestConnex and action being taken to implement;
7. Council engages Tim Robertson SC to advise on prospects of legal challenge to the WestConnex project across the new LGA, including an injunction on the current demolition works;
8. Council notes that the Inner West Council Local Representation Advisory Committees (LRACs) will further discuss Inner West Council’s position on WestConnex at a future joint meeting.
Views of Local Representation Advisory Committees
This matter was considered by the Inner West Council Local Representation Advisory Committees on 14 June (Ashfield LRAC), 15 June (Leichhardt LRAC) and 23 June (Marrickville LRAC) and supported on each occasion. Leichhardt LRAC also proposed the inclusion of a new motion that the Inner West Council Local Representation Advisory Committees (LRACs) further discuss Inner West Council’s position on WestConnex at a future joint meeting. This is agreed and has been added to the motion.