We are looking for a digitally savvy, creative and politically engaged person to join our Newtown team to manage our social media and create content.
Our small team is passionate, dedicated, experienced and high intensity. We are committed to serving the good people of the Newtown electorate as well as campaigning for significant social and environmental change.
- Type: Casual or freelancer: 21-28 hours per week, flexible days/times to be agreed
- Timeline: Ongoing work expected for at least 6 months, possibility of extension
- Salary: between $40 - $55/hr depending on skills and employment type
- Location: Newtown, Sydney
- Reports to: Jenny Leong MP
- Further information: [email protected]
Your core responsibilities in this role will be creating content and managing social media to effectively communicate our work - locally in the electorate of Newtown as well as across our portfolios of multiculturalism, housing, renters and homelessness, womens’ rights, LGBTIQ+, human rights and climate change.
While this role is one that requires specific skills and experience - as well as a passion for social, economic and environmental justice - you don’t need to be someone who has already worked in politics or has a political pedigree to apply. We are actively encouraging people of culturally diverse backgrounds and women who are interested in this position to put an application in, even if you don’t think you meet every single bit of the selection criteria. We are committed to addressing the lack of diversity in politics.
The social media and content producer will:
Create timely and engaging content to communicate our local electorate, parliamentary and campaign work. Responsibilities will include:
- Designing graphics for online and print
- Copywriting for social media and emails
- Working with our Newtown team to write scripts, film and edit video content.
Managing and monitoring our social media channels with the goals of building engagement and our online reach. Work will include:
- Scheduling content
- Giving timely responses to community messages and comments
- Engaging with online community groups on our behalf
- Ensuring the accessibility of all posts.
- Assist with the creation and monitoring of advertisements across digital channels.
- Update and monitor our websites to ensure our work is communicated effectively and accessible to the public.
- Assist in the management of photos, videos and digital creative assets.
- Identify new digital opportunities that align with our priorities.
- Commitment to the principles of the Greens and understanding of the current political landscape
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work as part of a team and manage competing priorities under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated online communications and campaigning skills including content creation and social media administration
- Graphic design skills. Skills in the Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent software will be highly regarded
- Ability to give and receive feedback in a creative context.
- Capacity to comprehend and clearly communicate complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Skills in word processing and email.
- Video production/editing or photography skills
- Nationbuilder and database skills
- Experience in activism or community organisations related to our work.
Email your resume and a two page cover letter directly addressing the selection criteria to [email protected]
For more information about the role contact Mithra on 02 9517 2800
Closing date: 5pm, Monday 28 February