Following the 2019 State Election, Jenny Leong is pleased to accept the Women's Rights portfolio on behalf of the NSW Greens. This portfolio will have an emphasis on abortion law reform, anti-discrimination and sexual consent laws.
Jenny will work closely with Abigail Boyd MLC, who will hold the portfolio of Women's Equity and Economic Justice.
This new portfolio follows on from Jenny's long history of campaigning for women's rights and abortion law reform.
In 2018, Jenny successfully blocked damaging amendments to the Public Health Amendment (Safe Access to Reproductive Health) Bill, which would have undermined protections for women attending abortion clinics.
"It's past time for women to have the right to make decisions about their own bodies. It's time for abortion law reform," Ms Leong said.
"I look forward to working collaboratively with feminist organisations and pro-choice members in the Parliament to finally achieve the change we all want.
"The Greens have been fighting hard to protect women's rights and bodies. We initiated a federal senate inquiry into domestic violence. We are committed to decriminalising abortion in NSW. We were part of the successful campaign to restore funding to a number of women-only refuges in the inner-city, and we continue to demand that other specialist services in regional and western Sydney have their funding returned too.
The Greens are committed to:
- Prioritising family violence as an issue that must be addressed by government.
- Defending women’s specialist services and ensuring that crisis services are run by women for women.
- Supporting additional resourcing and training to enable police to respond effectively to domestic and family violence.
- Protecting a woman’s right to safety, both psychological and physical.
- Recognising that women come from different cultural backgrounds, and that laws and services must be inclusive of all women.
- Decriminalising abortion in NSW and respecting a woman’s right to bodily autonomy.
- Working towards reducing the gender pay gap in NSW.
- Ensuring that women are properly represented at all levels of government.